Dailydave mailing list archives

RE: Pentesters getting owned?

From: "Clemens, Dan" <Dan.Clemens () healthsouth com>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 11:22:08 -0500

At one time I worked for a fairly shady boss in the nyc area.(that just
got busted for major fraud) He had a big dispute with one of the partial
owners of the company who he had bought portions of the source code for
his product.

Well, to make a long story short the two had a big pissing match and the
owner who was living in nyc hired a team of pen testers through his law
firm.

They weren't that good and forgot to change their external ip address of
one of their machines when they plugged into our network.

We had setup arpwatch on every network segment and would receive pages
whenever someone would plug into any network segment so we simply did an
arin lookup of the owner of the ip address and it ended up being an law
firm that advertised having a pen testing team.

Anyhow , the pen testers tried to break into the network , yet where
very unsuccessful.

They were running all sorts of vulnerable services on their linux boxes
when we checked out their eleet warez. :)

I will give 400 'kewl' points to anyone on the list who can guess what
'shady nyc owner' hired these pen testers.

I guess the lesson learned is if you are going to be a pen tester and
you want to get on a network and not show what pen-test firm you are
working for (and the admins of the network don't know your coming...)
please change the external ip address you normally use before plugging
your nic in. (oh yeah, patch your box before pen-testing )

-Dan