Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Security Expert Certificates

From: "Aviv Revach" <aviv_r () brillianet com>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 17:40:01 +0200

Hi all,

I agree with most of the things that were said so far.
I too believe that experience and actual knowledge counts way more than any
'expert' diploma.

I first came to this acknowledgment while studying for my degree
in CS. It seems that many graduating students don't have any real clue
regarding actual work. They did learn several programming languages
and passed some exams but in fact, did nothing in practice.

As Ken said, if my target is to pass any resume screening (and in the
future it would..), CISSP as a buzzword would definitely do the trick ..
I disagree with Ken's saying that a certificate would only effect a
"technically challenged,
first-level person". If employee' were only to hire people by their skills
(how
would they validate those?) without 'proven' knowledge
(certificates/degrees), they would
have to spend way too much time for each individual applicant..
Indeed, A CISSP applicant should *not* be considered as a 'security expert'
but IMHO, he
does have some 'proven' knowledge that an employee can trust on.

Thank you all for your replies. I think that my intention is clear now.
I still lack of recommendations regarding certficates that count more than
others in
employee' prospective...

Regards,
Aviv Revach