Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Consulting companies are not recruiting companies

From: Daniele Muscetta <daniele () muscetta com>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 09:48:33 +0100

Dave Aitel wrote:

Why isn't your (and everyone else's) company paying for this? I find
the reluctance of companies to pay for conferences weird. It's not
like they really cost that much. They'll happily buy software that's
50K per seat, but then not spend 5K to train their person on why they
bought it in the first place. I keep seeing people going to BlackHat
on their own dollar - it's odd.

I do not have a clue about the reason WHY.
Sure it happens this way.

....it must have something to do with NOT sending their employees to training, but hiring consultants for the jobs their very same employees could have learned :-) ...and of course in SOME situations you do still need consultants. But I consider it worth hiring a consultant to get more in depth than you did in something, or to have a "second opinion" (like at the doctor...) or even to have another person looking at something where you of course might have missed something.
But I am very much a fan of "do it yourself" as a business model.

Sure enough, people who run companies generally think different.
And the result (IMHO, of course) is that employees who see things done FOR them, instead of having the CHANCE of learning them in first person, usually get used to the company's way of doing things, get lazy, and hire even more consultants..... gosh! :-\

Ciao,

Daniele