Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Is predictable spam filtering a vulnerability? (silently dropping messages)

From: der Mouse <mouse () Rodents Montreal QC CA>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 18:46:55 -0400 (EDT)

OK, I'll brave the storm of broken autoresponders one more time....

IMHO 3: If user Joe gets 10 delivery failures of messages that he
        has not sent and one delivery failure of message that he has
        actually sent, it is worse than if he gets nothing.

This is indeed a problem, and it's a loophole that needs to be
closed.

Unfortunately it's difficult for most people to close.

There needs to be a way for an SMTP server to correlate a bounce
message with a sent message, and reject the bounce message if it
wasn't caused by a validly-sent message.  Proposals like SPF can help
a little.

A little.  But there also is a need to _identify_ bounce messages.

A few years back, I got joed - some lamer forged my address into the
from-line of what appears to have been an entire spamrun.  I got some
small number of thousands of bounces before I taught my mailer to pick
apart multipart/report bounces and reject them if the bounced message
doesn't show certain signs that all messages I send show.  This helped
immensely, and when the modern crop of from-line forging malware showed
up, my defenses were already in place and functioning.

Today, I occasionally get bounces for malware with my address forged
into the fromline.  I respond to them with a more or less stock
response that goes something like

        If you _must_ do accept-and-bounce (something which is
        increasingly "part of the problem" in today's net), please at
        least make sure your bounces are proper multipart/report
        bounces, so they can be mechanically identified and treated
        appropriately.  (See RFC 3462 for more on multipart/report.)

I've been doing this only a little while.  If there comes to be a site
which is a persistent source of bounces and also persistently ignores
that request, I'm prepared to block it entirely.

/~\ The ASCII                           der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML               mouse () rodents montreal qc ca