Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Is predictable spam filtering a vulnerability? (silently dropping messages)

From: "David F. Skoll" <dfs () roaringpenguin com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 20:53:56 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004, Martin [iso-8859-2] Ma?ok wrote:

A spam filter MUST respond with a 500 SMTP failure code if it
rejects a message.

What is your opinion based on?

Personal experience.

I'm assuming you mean RFC 2821 (SMTP) -- by issuing "250 OK" to
a message, SMTP server is accepting responsibility for delivering or
relaying the message.

Yes.

[...]

For me, not generating bounce message to spam/viral message is
a reason valid enough to "break" RFC 2821.

I agree with silently discarding viruses, because false-positives are
practically unknown.  Silently discarding suspected spam is very
bad, because false positives are reasonably common.

IHMO 1: If your filter decides the message is not worth a delivery
        it's not worth a bounce too.

That's not correct.  I've had many legitimate emails rejected by overzealous
spam filtering.

IMHO 2: If your filter does not do the job of filtering messages well
        and bounces back, it is just distributing his work to others
        and deserves to be repaired/changed or blacklisted (firewalled
        out by others).

A 5xx failure code is a lot more friendly than actually generating a DSN.

IMHO 3: If user Joe gets 10 delivery failures of messages that he has
        not sent and one delivery failure of message that he has
        actually sent, it is worse than if he gets nothing.

This is indeed a problem, and it's a loophole that needs to be closed.
There needs to be a way for an SMTP server to correlate a bounce
message with a sent message, and reject the bounce message if it
wasn't caused by a validly-sent message.  Proposals like SPF can help
a little.

One good thing is that spammers often use ratware that ignores
failure codes.  So a 5xx return code does *not* elicit a
DSN, whereas having your anti-spam box actually generate a DSN
is obviously bad.

IMO, silently discarding mail that is suspected to be spam will only
further damage people's trust in the reliability of e-mail, which is
already very strained.

Regards,

David.