Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: "The End of SSL and SSH?"

From: Damien Miller <djm () MINDROT ORG>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 13:36:24 +1100

On Wed, 20 Dec 2000, Crispin Cowan wrote:

   * SSH: punts the whole problem, and makes the users responsible
   for initial key placement. Brilliant & lame at the same time, this
   has allowed SSH to spread rapidly, because it is much easier to
   install than most other secure remote access/VPN solutions. To
   be really secure, you can sneakernet (floppy disk) your initial
   key onto all the nodes you want. You can also punt, and use
   insecure means to place the initial keys: SSH warns you that you're
   subject to a man-in-the-middle attack when you do that.

OpenSSH (and maybe others) print fingerprints when previously unknown host
keys are presented. This allows for OOB veracity checking.

I have seen a few PGP signed SSH host keys and SSH host keys served from
webservers with "real" certificates, so 'cross-PKI' is another way around
the problem.

SSH and SSL are in my opinion poor implementations of security
protocols, they also lack a lot of things such as repudiation/etc.
To believe they are the best we can do makes me very sad. I suspect
in 5 years we'll talk about ssh/ssl like we talk about telnet right
now.

They may be bad protocols (or good; I'm not a crypto protocol guy)
but not for the reason you're presenting. The issue you bring up is
endemic to all crypto protocols.

His argument in the case of SSL isn't even correct - CRLs and OCSP are
extant, if not pretty or widely deployed, repudiation mechanisms.

-d