Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: "The End of SSL and SSH?"

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry () WASABISYSTEMS COM>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 18:59:39 -0500

Alfred Perlstein <bright () wintelcom net> writes:
If this is truly the extent of the flaw Mr. Seifried things requires a
full PKI to fix, I'd like to know why setting

StrictHostKeyChecking yes

isn't a near-complete fix to the "End of SSH" Mr. Seifried predicts.
[...]
And yes, his prediction is based on the stupidity and carelessness of
users who are pavlovian trained to click/reply "YES, I don't care about
this problem" when confronted with a dialog box no matter how dire the
warning in the dialogue.

But setting StrictHostKeyChecking to "yes" means you aren't prompted
any more. In any case, that's an application issue, not a protocol issue.

Perry

--
Perry E. Metzger                perry () wasabisystems com