Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: "The End of SSL and SSH?"

From: Kurt Seifried <seifried () securityportal com>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 11:33:56 -0700

It is also incredibly difficult for users to ascertain whether the key is legit or not. I've had some people suggest
that all the
SSH keys be PGP signed and put on floppy and given to users (that one made me laugh). Most users will happily accept
SSL certs that
have expired, point to the wrong site or are self signed (all of which could be a man in the middle attack or a lazy
admin). I used
to religously sign email's with PGP until I realized that no-one probably checked, how did I know this? I started
modifying the
email after signing so that it wouldn't verify, no-one ever complained.

SSH and SSL are in my opinion poor implementations of security protocols, they also lack a lot of things such as
repudiation/etc. To
believe they are the best we can do makes me very sad. I suspect in 5 years we'll talk about ssh/ssl like we talk about
telnet right
now.

Perry Metzger

-Kurt