Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Bay Annex-Pri Privacy Issues

From: evyncke () CISCO COM (Eric Vyncke)
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 11:03:47 +0200

Even, if I'm not obviously working for Nortel ;-), some info:

DNIS, Dialed Number ??, is the destination phone number a remote user
   is dialling to
CLID, Calling Line ID, is the source phone number a remote user is
   dialing from

It is fairly common for NAS, Network Access Server, (the large routers
with 100's or 1000's of modems), to use both the DNIS and CLID to
perform some 'authentication'.

E.g.:
- some ISP are sharing the same big NAS and using the DNIS to differentiate
  calls to ISP#1 from calls to ISP#2
- refuse calls coming from unknown CLID
- ...

CLID and DNIS are:
- provided by the Telco (and not 100% trustable -- the Telco could be
  hacked)
- available on most NAS from most vendors by SNMP or RADIUS or TACACS

Just my 0.01 EUR

-eric