Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Cisco 675 password nonsense

From: brian () CITILINK COM (Brian Elfert)
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 13:33:53 -0500

On Fri, 6 Aug 1999, Dave Dittrich wrote:

With good reason.  In bridging mode with a Windows 9x/NT box, your network
neighborhood will show everyone else's PC that has any file/print sharing
enabled.  So, it's trivially easy to connect to a non-passworded share.

That depends on the DSL provider, I believe.  On my USWest.net DSL
connection, I only see packets on my side of the bridge that are
destined for IP addresses I'm using, or broadcast ethernet/IP packets,
which seems to be the same as what @Home customers (at least the ones
in Seattle I've spoken with) see.  I've heard from other DSL customers

The broadcast packets are what are used for discovering other computers in
the Network Neighborhood.

US West may be filtering on port 139 to prevent this now.  This was a
problem with USWest.net, at least in the beginning of DSL.

Brian