Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Cisco 675 password nonsense

From: BFrancis () SPACEIMAGING COM (Francis Bodie)
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 09:24:39 -0600

This is all true, and shows one of the security
issues with brining broadband access to the uneducated user.

Since this is sort of related. I had to do a password recovery on a
675,
which is an undocumented procedure( or at least not in the manual.)

To recover the password you do the following steps:

1.  Reboot the Cisco 675

2.  Access the device through the serial Console
(Speed: 34000, 8, N,1)

3.  Issue the break command, <CTRL>-C

4.  The Cisco 675 should be display a prompt =>

5.  Issue the command: ES 6   (Erase Page? 6)

6.  Issue the command: M0     (Turn of monitor mode.)

7.  Issue the command: go

8.  The modem should reboot, with exec and ena passwords removed.

*NOTE:  You will also loose your entire config.

Apparently the whole ROM monitor mode on the 675 is
a bit strange, most likely due to it being a former NetSpeed product.

Bodie

<DISCLAIMER>Views expressed here are not those of Space
Imaging.</DISCLAIMER>