Bugtraq mailing list archives

dg/ux vulnerbility

From: brian () saturn net (Brian Mitchell)
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1996 19:03:07 -0400

There seems to be a vulnerbility in dg/ux (tested in 5.4r3.10) - it
includes ospf_monitor (from the gated package). Unfortunately, it is a
older version and has a security hole.

It is a suid program, and has a command to write to a file, so something
like this:

umask 0
ospf_monitor
F /tmp/foo

This should create a 0 byte world writable file called /tmp/foo, assuming
/tmp/foo does not exist. If it exists, it will be truncated, permissions
obviously will not be modified.

Brian Mitchell                                          brian () saturn net
"I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell"
- H. Truman