Bugtraq mailing list archives

FreeBSD recent exploits.

From: andy () bigdog fred net (Andy Dills)
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 17:42:32 -0400

Hello, I run a FreeBSD news server. I have been keeping up with the
various recent security holes (the suidperl, rdist, etc.).

However, since this is a full disclosure list, I must say my curiousity
is piqued about the latest two.

First, how would one use the hole in the ppp program? I noticed, looking
at the patch, the flawed logic in some of the source code. However, since
I am trying to learn C myself, I wasn't sure how they would be exploited.

Secondly, the rz/sz. Is this a FreeBSD only hole, or a "bad idea" that is
part of the zmodem protocol? And I am dying to see more info about it, as
in, exactley what part of the protocol allows you to do this? Also,
without knowing the history of rz/sz, why on earth did they include such
a thing, if it was in fact a deliberate inclusion?

Andy Dills