Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: cat flames >/dev/null

From: tdn () tdn xyplex com (Thomas D. Nadeau)
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 94 11:17:48 EDT

Sysops are held responsible for the data stored on their machines.
I do not want illegal copies of other peoples credit/access info
on my system for any length of time, even in the mail spool.

I'm tired of this argument.  Do any of your machines receive news?
Do any of your users receive internet mail?  There are just 2
pathways for 'illegal' information to enter your systems.  There is
no stopping it: even some sort of censoring scheme would require
temporary spooling.

There is an implied risk in connecting to the internet.  This is one of
them.  If you're not willing to accept this risk, unplug your routers.

newsham> Everyone seems to forget that this list is hosted by Scott
newsham> Chasin.  People should be grateful that he is providing this
newsham> service and respectful of the decisions he makes.  If he
newsham> changes the list into something you do not like work towards
newsham> making a list that satisfies your needs.

                The list originally contained lots of good information
which addressed security holes in systems.  However, as of late I have
not received any interesting postings; rather, I have only received
lots of flames and noise.  As a recsult, I have unsubscribed from this
list and I recommend that all other participants do the same,
and subscribe to security lists with a higher information to
garbage ratio.

                --tOm

--