Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: cat flames >/dev/null

From: stewart () networx com (Christopher A. Stewart)
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 1994 02:38:47 +0800

On Mon, 10 Oct 1994 16:17:33 -0400 (EDT),
Eric Conrad <econrad () bu edu> wrote:

Sysops are held responsible for the data stored on their machines.
I do not want illegal copies of other peoples credit/access info
on my system for any length of time, even in the mail spool.

I'm tired of this argument.  Do any of your machines receive news?  Do
any of your users receive internet mail?  There are just 2 pathways for
'illegal' information to enter your systems.  There is no stopping it:
even some sort of censoring scheme would require temporary spooling.

There is an implied risk in connecting to the internet.  This is one of
them.  If you're not willing to accept this risk, unplug your routers.

                                ...Eric

As I understand it, after the fiasco in Texas a few years back, at
least providers to the public are legally considered common carriers,
which means they are not responsible for the contents of mail or
news.. And after recent events this summer where they just went after
the employees responsible rather than the organization, I'd suspect
you are pretty safe as long as the data is in the spool.. Of course if
you saved it off and attempted to do something with it, you might be
in trouble..

--
Christopher A. Stewart       | (Standard disclaimers are in effect)
System/Network Administrator |