Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: FIRST and CERT

From: jlarson () parc xerox com (John Larson)
Date: Mon, 2 May 1994 12:44:06 PDT

There were people at Sun and personal friends
who understood that I had a multi-billion dollar brokerage and trading
operation to worry about; .. Certainly
nothing wouldhave happened to anyone at CERT were I penetrated

Perry,

While I certainly have shared similar frustration with CERT at times of
crisis, I'm not sure I completely understand the level of angst that
appears to be going on for you.

I'm curious; have you informed your company management that they cannot
realistically completely depend on your firewall ?   As you well know, the
state of Internet firewall technology (esp built with Unix) is far from
perfect.  Previously unknown security holes are discovered with
disconcerting frequency.

One of the things I tell my clients before they connect to the Internet is
that THEY assume some risk by creating a connection to the Internet (or
adding dial-up modems, or any other type of external connection for that
matter ;).

Given the reality of external connections (firewall, modems, or whatever);
internal sites/machines with high security requirements MUST take
responsibility and do whatever is necessary to secure themselves.

I think anyone who installs or operates an Internet firewall without
completely drilling these points home to their clients or managment is
being remiss in their duty.

Cheers,

John Larson
Internet Consultant

Email: jlarson () jnl com
Voice: 408-662-9755,  Fax: 408-662-9756, Pager: 408-662-4174
US Mail:  PO Box 1120 Aptos, CA 95003