Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: ruserok() & /etc/hosts.equiv

From: walkera () druggist gg caltech edu (Walker Aumann)
Date: Mon, 02 May 1994 21:28:35 PDT

Big Bad Jon <jsz () netsys com> reponds:
Define what you meant by ``ruserok denies access'' --

A '+' is supposed to allow any user from any host, and it doesn't.

As far as I can tell, ruserok() function, which is
defined in rcmd.o module of libc returns a ``0'' if
the machine name is listed in the ``hosts.equiv'' file
or the host and remote user name are found in the ``.rhosts''
file; Otherwise it just returns a ``-1'', so having a ``+''
in /etc/hosts.equiv means that ruserok in fact does NOT deny access.

A '+' in my hosts.equiv file makes the routine return -1, regardless of
.rhosts.  While this is more secure than the expected behavior, I don't
consider it correct behavior.  Then again, really correct behavior wouldn't
include calling this function in the first place.

Walker