Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: /dev/tcp, and a LD_LIBRARY_PATH question.

From: jkb () mrc-lmb cam ac uk (Bonfield James)
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 94 8:51:17 WET

Doug Hughes wrote:

If I recall correctly, (I could be wrong), was the original discussion
about sudo? If so, why not statically link it? (I'm not discounting
the importance of the LD_* problem).

This is not the problem. For setuid programs the LD_* variables will be
ignored. This ought to be true on all systems (although a very early release
(BL10 I think) of DEC OSF/1 had this bug). The check is done by looking at
real and effective uids (and gids) to see whether they're the same.

However the problem arises when the program sets the two uids to be the same
and then executes another program. In this case the LD_* problem will exist
again as the child process will pass the above test. This caused problems for

sudo, login -p, su, lpr, sendmail (programs in .forward files) and probably
more. As I recall SunOS4.1.3 fixed this - presumably by removing the LD_*
variables when the test above fail, although I haven't checked this.

        James
--
James Bonfield (jkb () mrc-lmb cam ac uk)   Tel: 0223 402266   Fax: 0223 412282