Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Stallman and enable-local-variables in bugtraq-digest V1 #64

From: jladwig () soils umn edu (John Ladwig)
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 1994 15:27:20 -0600

On Tue, 13 Dec 1994 09:24:04 -1000 (HST), Timothy Newsham <newsham () wiliki eng hawaii edu> said:

    >> /* jladwig () soils umn edu writes: */
    >>
    >> >rms has said to me in mail that he "doesn't like security".
    >> >Would that I (and others) had that luxury.
    >> >
    >> Just because someone doesn't "like" something, doesn't mean
    >> they don't understand the need for it.  It's a shame anyone
    >> *has* to deal with it at all.  I'd much rather *not have* to
    >> type a password when su'ing, but the consequences of a
    >> password-less root are obvious.  I don't like having to take
    >> the extra time to do it, but the alternative is even less
    >> appealing.

Exactly.

    TN> Its the mission of the FSF to wedge the philosophies of RMS
    TN> upon everyone.  This is accomplished through writing free
    TN> software which becomes a defacto standard with dependancies on
    TN> other free software which must become a defecto standard.  I'm
    TN> not saying they dont do a good job,

*Please* let's not get into a big public to-do over FSF philosophy and
politics.  If you must vent about it, please feel free to do so with
me, or privately to others, and not on Bugtraq.

    TN> but disreguarding other people's need for security just
    TN> because RMS thinks society should be free and open is evil.

Personality aside, I thought it relevant to mention on Bugtraq the
philosophical viewpoint of the maintainer of several important
software packages.

    -jml