Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Stallman and enable-local-variables in bugtraq-digest V1 #64

From: wrf () ecse rpi edu (Wm Randolph Franklin)
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 1994 19:32:16 -0500

Concerning:

From: Dave Goldberg <dsg () blackbird mitre org>
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 1994 09:00:26 -0500
Subject: Re: Virus's -- This is an Emacs bomb

Yeah, I've always wondered why Stallman et al, when they wrote v19,
left enable-local-variables to t when they should have followed what
they did with enable-local-eval which is set to query the user.  At
least it can be turned off or set to query in site-start.el or
default.el.

Stallman seems prone to that sort of error.  One of his releases a
few years back had something like a 'chmod 777' buried deep in a
shell file.  I can't remember the details, but do remember that
the person who reported to the net it was outraged.  Seemed to
think that it was deliberate.

 Wm. Randolph Franklin,  wrf () ecse rpi edu, (518) 276-6077;  Fax: -6261
 ECSE Dept., 6026 JEC, Rensselaer Polytechnic Inst, Troy NY, 12180 USA
 More info: (1) finger -l wrf () ecse rpi edu (2) http://www.ecse.rpi.edu/wrf.html