Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Got this - not sure of authenticity. Better safe etc...

From: rhaas () cygnus arc nasa gov (Robert M. Haas)
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 1994 16:27:38 -0800

PC Users:
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Subject: virus

There is a virus on America Online being sent by E-Mail.  If you get anything
called "Good Times", DON'T read it or download it.  It is a virus that will
erase your hard drive.  Forward this to all your friends.  It may help them
alot.

I've gotten 3 copies of this message now from totally different
sources. I don't know if reading a message on American On-Line can erase
your hard drive, but I doubt it. Downloading won't either, although
running it might. Copies of this message (and several variants)
are circulating all over the country, through many different channels;
several copies came to me directly via Internet; obviously an Internet
email message can't erase your hard drive.

Does anyone have any evidence that there is any substance behind this
message? It's certainly wasting a lot of time & bandwidth in many places.

...Robert