Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: DDoS protection

From: "Sable, Amol" <Amol_Sable () bmc com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2014 08:18:40 -0500

Hi Kartik,

Greetings!

DDS vs IPS (for DoS protection aspect only)

The following capabilities are essential as part of any DoS Defense solution. I'm trying to add my comments for IPS in
the same area.

1. Detect and mitigate rate-based and protocol attacks
        --> Hard to comment on ability of IPS boxes here. I feel, DDS are more focused on the problem than IPS

2. Resistant to known evasion techniques
        --> Based on my observation, IPS vendors are continually improving on detecting attacks combining evasion
techniques

3. Be highly resilient and stable  and provide legitimate access to protected resources while under DDoS attack
        -->IPS boxes undergo rigorous stress testing these days

4. Ability to operate at layer 3
        --> An IPS monitors traffic at Layer 3 and Layer 4 to ensure that their headers, states, and so on are those
specified in the protocol suite. However, the IPS sensor analyzes at Layer 2 to Layer 7 the payload of the packets for
more sophisticated embedded attacks that might include malicious data. This deeper analysis lets the IPS identify,
stop, and block attacks that would normally pass through a traditional firewall devices, even DDS devices

If anti DDoS solutions are really solving the purpose needs to be evaluated. May be some benchmark reports will help.
Some vendors are providing such reports for both - IPS appliances as well as DDS devices. That would be a good starting
point.

I'd not buy DDS unless it is an absolute necessity and there are no budget constraints.

The question is really good. Let's see what other's views are.

Regards,
Amol