Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Centralized firewall management and log analysis tools

From: "Mikhail A. Utin" <mutin () commonwealthcare org>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2012 11:13:00 -0400

By my research, and a couple of published in 2011 reviews, all ArcSight competitors provide very similar features and
capabilities. They reached the point where they can only improve, but not invent or develop something really different.
I would not trust Gartner in its research (they rated ArcSight as top of the line product) and the Magic Quadrant as
well. Guys were missing point very often. Each SIEM vendor has its own approach how to create a line of SIEM products.
Almost all are appliances. There are just a few software providing vendors. Almost all have "all-in-one" low end
appliance solution.

Yes, HP got ArcSight to use in its services, which are expensive, and that started affecting the company's "technical"
position. BTW, two other major vendors - Q1Lab and NitroSecurity are not independent anymore as well.

If the list is interested, I can polish my SIEM research draft and publish it.

Mikhail Utin, CISSP
Information Security Analyst