Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: server security

From: "Littlefield, Tyler" <tyler () tysdomain com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 08:51:13 -0600

Hello:
I honestly think moving your port gives you nothing here. As already has been pointed out, you can hide your port up in 20000+ range, but all it takes is a deviation from the general script. I hardly think a well secured server has much to fear from those sorts of scripts anyway, so it still leaves the problem. You'll be free of the clutter of someone scanning with a basic generic script, but it won't protect someone more advanced.