Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Malware detection

From: Vic Vandal <vvandal () well com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 06:07:19 -0700 (PDT)

I typed up the following response to Tony's initial email, and then before sending noticed that John had already
replied with a VERY similar message.  Here's my copied verbiage (below) for added measure.
I'll also piggyback on something John stated that I didn't in my original text.  John said "no solution is 100%
effective".  Agreed in full.  That's where practice with and usage of multiple tools (hopefully free ones for the most
part) can help.  In small environments or where you have suspicions that a machine is infected you can do manual
analysis, which may reveal brand new malware that no tool is currently picking up.  And defense-in-depth is always a
good plan.  Anyway here's my original response:

I'm not professionally endorsing any products, but I'll state that MalwareBytes (free or Pro version) should be able to
detect (and eradicate) those trojans, without impacting your production machines (beyond the need for a quick reboot in
some cases to complete the cleanup job).  You can postpone the reboot (where required).

There absolutely are other products (i.e., ComboFix) that will render your production machines completely unusable
while scanning, which is obviously what you're hoping to avoid.

Then there are network-based products which detect and report on; suspect Internet connections to/from botnet C&C
servers, as well as the download of trojan keystroke loggers, rootkits, and etc.  Those could alert to the presence of
such malware along with the infected production machine identification.  Again, not endorsing any products, but (if you
have some budget and work cycles to spare) you can look at things like; FireEye, TMS (Trend), WildFire (Palo Alto),
MetaFlows, etc, etc.

Peace,
Vic
(lifetime malware hater)