Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Comparing hosts on a network to text file

From: Mike Saldivar <Mike.Saldivar () usurf usu edu>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 14:47:01 +0000

Andi,

Do you have control over your network?

Your requirements are already implemented in 802.1x http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.1X and other types of
network-based MAC authentication.

When you get a new machine, you add its MAC to your whitelist on your RADIUS server, and then the network will allow
that device to connect.  Any unknown MAC will be blocked automatically when it is plugged in.  It won't matter if they
assign themselves valid IP addresses; they will be blocked upon connection to the network.
And depending on whether you worry about MAC spoofing, you can configure other port security options to block MACs
appearing on more than one port, more than a specific number of MACs per port, etc.

-Mike