Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Penetration Testing Software

From: Richard Thomas <austindad () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 13:10:39 -0500

Dimitrios,

If you are actually looking for a useful response, instead of poking
list members with a stick, you need to provide a little more detail on
your need.

1. Are you expecting to use this software for internal or external
clients?  The level of "nice" is different between these two groups.
2. Which leads to...what do you mean by "nice"?  You should indicate
what information / features must be included, and what are "nice to
haves".
3. What do you mean by low cost?  Are we talking $500, $5,000, or $50,000?
4. Is the cost measurement only for the software, or should it include
support, training, and possible a body to run it?  As we all know,
freeware is anything but in a business environment.
5. A little more technical...what OS do you intend to run he software
on?  If the perfect match only runs on Linux, and you only know
Windows, refer to question 4 about training.

I hope this helps focus your search so you can get what you are
looking for.  By the way, here is a little insight based on my
experience.  When talking about penetration testing software / tools,
"low cost" and "nice client reports" are mutually exclusive.

Richard Thomas