Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: How to monitor a hosted web server

From: Jeffrey Walton <noloader () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 12:50:28 -0400

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 11:37 AM, Mikhail A. Utin
<mutin () commonwealthcare org> wrote:
You will never get your hands on what you outsourced. If you want control, host it yourself. By my personal
experience, my sites were down one-two hours in a year connected to Comcast business Internet (5 IPs and very good
support). $75 for 5MB pipe. I bet you cannot get it better from an ISP. Physical security and power? You can solve
that as well. $500 power backup generator is much less than ISP wants for the same protection level.

There's a lot to be said about physical security in post 9/11 america
with legislation such as the PATRIOT act, secret warrants, and
warrantless searches. I have such as distaste for for the abuses that
I moved my stuff to my house to make sure I could keep my email server
in my control (STARTTLS is a great thing at times). There's no need to
throw a net so large that you catch nearly 100% law abiding citizens.

Jeff