Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: How to monitor a hosted web server

From: krymson () gmail com
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 20:42:52 GMT

If you currently have an internal monitoring system, you can check into using it to just monitor the web site,
typically with a call to port 80 or something to that effect. Something like SolarWinds has the ability to just monitor
an external URL.

If you want to script it, you can do that as well. Just choose your preferred scripting language and look up how to
pull/grab/get/wget/curl a web page for monitoring. Then use scheduled tasks or cron to schedule it. There should be no
shortage of how-to's for this approach.

Of you can find an external paid-for service which will range from very rudimentary gets to more involved scripts that
actually log into and navigate sites enough to proove everything is working correctly.

Host-Tracker.com comes up pretty early in Google searches on the topic.

I've heard KeyNote.com does nice script support for more in-depth monitoring.

<- snip ->
Hello List,

How do you usually monitor websites that are externally hosted?
I have called several web hosting companies, but any of them offer the
alert service (email or sms) when the website does not load (due to
hardware, software or attacks).

How SMBs that have e-commerce websites that have to be up and running
all the time deal with monitoring thsoe websites?

Thank you.

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1