Security Basics mailing list archives

Gateway Scanner or IDP

From: absolutezero273c () gmail com
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 12:39:01 -0600

I work for an SMB and have been concerned, as I should be, about keeping the network clean/safe for my users.

My most immediate threat is virus and malware.  We have desktop anti-virus but it doesn't seem to catch or clean it
all.  Sure, we run spybot and malwarebytes after the fact. And sometimes it cleans it up but we are finding that lately
we simply have to wipe the system and re-image to be sure we have it cleaned up.

So I've begun looking at gateway scanners (i.e. eset, juniper, checkpoint, trend micro, etc.)  but began thinking that
this seems really close to an IDP.

I have been looking at IDP systems for a few years but I don't have a lot of time to manage a Snort box and will have
to do some hard selling if I'm going to request a budget for a Sourcefire deployment.  They didn't buy in a few years
ago when I pushed for it. (If those are the right products?)

Should I be taking a different approach to this?

Do I install a gateway scanner?  Do I implement a proxy server or content filtering solution?  Do I install an IDP?
All of the above?

If I invest in a prepackaged solution is that going to give me the best solution for my money? Or do I look to contract
with someone who can manage snort remotely?

Those of you who have been through this, how did you get to your decision? What would you do different if you had to?

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1