Security Basics mailing list archives

Microsoft CAL license needed to install Security Software

From: malwares () yahoo com
Date: 27 Sep 2010 02:53:13 -0000

We are exploring the options of purchasing Windows 2008 to run a commercial enterprise security software. Software
agent running on user workstations will connect to the enterprise security software to retrieve policies and update.
The third party software is not using windows authentication or services.

We contacted Microsoft support about the CAL license that we need. According to them, we will need CAL regardless the
client/user is connecting directly or indirectly to the server. If this the case, regardless if you developed your own
network software running on Windows or purchase a commercial one, you will need CAL.

Personally I find this ironic as the CAL price can total up to 10-20 times that of commercial software and server if
you have more than 1000 users.

I think Microsoft is discouraging vendor and developer from running software on Windows OS. In future I think we have
to include the CAL price in security product evaluation.

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1