Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Checkpoint smart defance as IPS

From: "Bretten, Andrew P" <andrew.bretten () kroger com>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 16:11:23 -0400

Trevor, typically a proxy does NOT decrypt ssl connections that it proxies.   Yes it proxies the TCP socket and the
HTTP connection that the SSL sits on top of, but the encryption is typically from client to end server, the proxy
cannot decrypt it.

There are certain proxies out there which will dynamically create a certificate that matches the site the client is
trying to reach and terminate the SSL have you described, but not all proxies do this.   It also requires that all your
internal clients then trust the (typically internal) CA used to real-time sign the dynamically created certificates

I wont even get into all the legal questions raised when now inspecting all SSL (think private Web mail etc).

Look at http://www.bluecoat.com/doc/807   as an example of a proxy that does this.

Andy