Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Home wireless free hotspot

From: Graham Fox <grahamfox () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 14:54:58 -0500

Geeze bunch o squares!

On 3/16/10, Adam Pal <pal_adam () gmx net> wrote:
Hello Stephen,

Indeed, there is a legal impact, even if not realized as such.
Depending on the country where you do that, there are different
restrictions.
As general you should take in consideration that:
- your provider may deny such a practice and cancel your contract
- your provider may change your contractual agreements
- by sharing an internet connection you can fall under the deffinition
of "access provider" where
   * you have to comply to aditional legal restrictions as other "big"
   ISP too
   * you may be accountable for illegality commited using your
   connection

Best regards,
 Adam Pal

<==============Original message text===============
SM> Legally?  I'm not sure there is anything in the law against sharing an
SM> internet connection (I'm fairly sure there is not).  This is not
SM> really a legal question, other than potential questions of liability
SM> for illegal acts commissioned via your open wireless connection.  Your
SM> life will suck after that oh-dark-thirty no knock warrant is served,
SM> innocent or guilty.

SM> Now the terms of use from your service provider are another story.

SM> Besides, sharing is Communism and that's just down right unAmerican.

SM> On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 6:05 PM, Johnathan
SM> <martinez85 () att blackberry net> wrote:
How sweet of you...

Now matter how kind your intentions are, you may want to check the terms
and conditions of the agreement of the contract you hold with your
service provider.

You legally may not be allowed to do such a thing you are proposing.

You may be aware of this already, just wanted to put it out there for
others who may have the same mind set as you.

----
Johnathan

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T