Security Basics mailing list archives

Home wireless free hotspot

From: "John Lightfoot" <jlightfoot () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 15:10:40 -0500

Hello,

I have a home wireless network that I’d like to make available to neighbors
who need to borrow a connection from time to time.  Consider it karmic
repayment for the times I’ve had to borrow someone else’s open connection.
Of course, I’d like to do it securely, so I’m looking for some advice.

My main network has a wireless router connected to the Internet, with a few
wired connections to my home computers.  The main router’s wireless network
is protected by WPA, access control via MAC address, etc.  My thought is I
would attach a second wireless router (Netgear) to a port off the main
router and leave it unsecured, using a second subnet, and block any routing
between the two subnets, other than straight out to the Internet, but I’m
not sure the best way to do that.

So, a few questions:

If I set up a second router with a subnet “subservient” to my main router,
presumably it has to get an IP address within the address space of the main
network, but how can I limit access to that network to only my Internet
interface?

Would it make more sense for my secure network to be subservient to the main
network, i.e. open up the main network and secure a secondary subnet off it?

I also have a Secure Computing SG 300 Firewall/VPN appliance, could I
configure that help keep the networks separate and my home network secure?
It’s got a lot of nice features, but I’m not sure it would help make my
configuration more secure.

This may be a very bad idea, so I’d also be happy to hear why that’s so if
it’s true.

Thanks for any advice.

John Lightfoot

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1