Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Wikileaks, Afghanistan war logs leaked by hackers

From: murdamcloud () bigpond com
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 20:56:36 +0000

You could say that I am a 'veteran' of a war-albeit a civilian veteran. During that war, a country mentioned and
criticised in the current leaks, carried out atrocities and were responsible for carnage that are only now being
prosecuted as war crimes. No, actually, I'm talking about Pakistan. Do some googling on Operation Searchlight and
you'll see what I'm talking about. However, in a way I lived through the destruction that forces on both sides of the
conflict meted out-first as a child living in Karachi during Indian AF bombing raids that left the city 'burning for a
week' as some sources would have it. Then as a (slightly older) child in the new Bangladesh surviving with my family in
a country devastated by war. My uncle died fighting the Pakistani murder squads and was buried in a 'secret' mass
grave. This highlights what I see as a fundamental problem here with state secrets. If the state keeps them during
conflict(and perhaps during peacetime of which there is precious little unless you live in the G20) then civilians die
quietly and invisibly...if you leak them then your soldiers may be in danger-even if for the fact that there is more
'justification' for hate towards you. Are soldiers worth more than civilians or vice versa? I could only begin to
wonder but never answer a question like that. But I often wish we had a tomb of the unknown civilian. It would be just
as full as the unknown soldier's one.
Sent via BlackBerry® from Telstra