Security Basics mailing list archives

Microsoft Security Essentials Command Line

From: "Burian, Matthew J." <mjb () burianit com>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 12:32:45 -0500

Something I found while trying to find a way to update Microsoft
Security Essentials automatically on my home testing domain logins-
some command line parameters for working with MSE:

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/updating-microsoft-security-essentials-using-command-line/

Especially useful is this line:

"%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Security Essentials\MpCmdRun.exe" -SignatureUpdate

to update the MSE definition files.  I have automatic windows updates
disabled on my client machines, so I push this command in a login
script via group policy, and know that my definition files are up to
date on all machines every time a user logs in.  Obviously, this is
just for my personal windows domain, and would not be appropriate for
a real business or enterprise environment as MSE is designed for home
use, and provides no management features.  However this could still be
useful if you wish to disable windows automatic updates, and still
update your MSE definitions, either on a network, or just a local
machine by running this command at startup of the machine.

Matt

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1