Security Basics mailing list archives

Network Engineer vs. Network Security Engineer

From: "Johnathan" <martinez85 () att blackberry net>
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2010 17:04:29 +0000

Hello List,

I am Security Engineer/Analyst at a company who is currently building their security program and have run into a issue
on defining a Network Security Engineer's roles and duties versus a Network Engineer (on the LAN/WAN side) and where a
line is drawn and what should overlap.

This subject came about when I requested access to our Cisco IPS, IDS and ASAs. The senior engineer (who, by the way,
is the only person who has full access to all of our Cisco routers, switches, IPS, IDS, ASAs, etc.) within my company
fought to disallow my access.

We have Cisco MARS implemented, and I am the primary manager of that device and require access to our Cisco security
devices (IPS, IDS, etc.) to sufficiently tune and update the appliance.

Was I and am I wrong for requesting access and wanting it? Where should the line be drawn as far as duties and roles?
Not just for Cisco security devices but on an enterprise wide scale.

I would really appreciate any responses to this.

Than You.

----
Johnathan

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T