Security Basics mailing list archives

Strange server behavior.

From: Paul Halliday <paul.halliday () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 08:51:51 -0400

I have a server 2003 box running IIS that seems to be walking through
URLS. I was looking into this machine for some other odd behavior when
I noticed this. This is a live Web server so no one would be on the
machine (in the typical sense anyway).

Most of the URL's appear to be commercial in nature, but cheesy, like
what you would see in SPAM. All that is in the requests is a GET and
there is no user agent. On the box, tcpview shows that the requests
belong to w3wp.exe.

AV scans on the box and malwarebytes are coming up empty.

What the heck is this?

Thanks.

--
Paul Halliday
http://www.pintumbler.org

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1