Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Active Directory user goes corrupt

From: Ansgar Wiechers <bugtraq () planetcobalt net>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 21:46:53 +0200

On 2010-08-17 Peter Odigie wrote:
I am new to active directory and I am presently managing one in a
firm. A staff comes to me and says his desktop contents are no longer
there and with his login he cannot open packages on the his system.
Initially, I thought it was his computer but after I logged in with my
own user and he tried logging into the domain on other computers he
had the same problem. It seems his user profile on the server (Windows
Server 2003) has gone corrupt.

How did that happen?

Gremlins.

And what am I to do?

Restore his profile folder from backup. If you don't have a backup: fix
that. Now. Then rename the corrupt profile folder, so a new profile will
be created on the user's next login. Copy the contents of the folders
"Desktop", "My Documents", "Start Menu" and "Favorites" (and perhaps
those configuration files from the "Application Data" folder that you
know won't break anything) from the corrupt profile to the respective
folders in the newly created profile.

In the main time I have created another user for him and I am going
through the pain of transferring giving him privileges to what he
should have access to.

Don't. If only the profile has gone corrupt, you don't need to create a
new user. Just delete or rename the profile folder, which will cause the
system to create a new one for that user.

Also, don't grant permissions on a per-user basis. Grant permissions to
user groups, and add your users to the respective groups.

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--
"All vulnerabilities deserve a public fear period prior to patches
becoming available."

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1