Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Information security on Twitter

From: Todd Haverkos <infosec () haverkos com>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 12:56:28 -0500

Stephen Mullins <steve.mullins.work () gmail com> writes:

Unless your job is marketing you probably shouldn't be on Twitter.

I (and I think a LOT of others) would argue quite to the contrary.

A speaker at Chicagocon 2009s (was it Raffy Marty?) pointed it out a
year ago--"have anyone else noticed security mailing list volume
falling off to near nothing?  Has all the news gone to twitter?"-- and
much as I wanted to avoid the Twitter hype, I have to admit, he was
right.  If it was controversial a year ago, it's certainly true today.

I'm not a tremendous fan of the medium, and am loathe to do much
updating there, and am not glued to it on my phone, but the truth is,
if you're in security, and aren't following security people on
twitter, or keeping up via podcasts, even if you manage to get to a
conference or two every year, you're going to be left behind.  The
Twitterless are probably missing links to relevant
tools/attacks/trends that you often don't see on mailing lists and may
not get picked up by infosec journalists.  And even if they are picked
up, there seems to be a good few days lag.

--
Todd Haverkos, LPT MsCompE

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1