Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Seeking Information regarding VoIP security Assessment

From: "Ivan ." <ivanhec () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 08:41:23 +1100

some dude posted this a while back - haven't tried it myself yet.....

I am pretty new to the list and just wanted to let everyone know that
I have developed a VoIP security live distribution called VAST. The
distro includes VoIP security assessment tools such as UCsniff,
VoipHopper, Videojak, videosnarf, ACE, Warvox, and a number of other
useful tools along with traditional security assessment tools like
Metasploit, Nmap, Netcat, Hydra, Hping2 and others. The link for the
distro is http://vipervast.sourceforge.net. The distro is still in a
very beta stage and suggestions are welcome.

Cheers,
Mike Jones
C|EH E|CSA ACSA GCIH GHTQ GHD
6e6f7468696e67206973206173206974207365656d73

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 5:14 AM, J. Oquendo <cisa () e-fensive net> wrote:
Abhishek Kumar wrote:
Really very helpful suggestions and resources.

Actually I have been given a task to write 2-3 page writeup on VoIP
Security and how we can do VoIP
security assessment.

regards
abhi

Depends on what your goal(s) is/are. For example, snooping
(eavesdropping) is accomplished by sniffing the wire and recompiling the
audio (RTP or other protocol used
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3550.txt?number=3550) which would affect
confidentiality. With any kind of packet injection tool and knowledge of
SIP (if SIP is targeted) you could do some interesting things. Because
most VoIP equipment are using a client server set-up and almost ALL VoIP
based phones have a web interface, they're DoSable, prone to the same
attacks as any other HTTP server.

Imagine the following: Using curl being able to reset variables. Not a
big deal at first glimpse, however imagine this:

Scenario1: You change your caller ID as that of an employee. Call IT and
tell them "reset my X (voicemail, email, etc.) password" Because the IT
guy wants to validate you he uses caller ID and does so.
Scenario2: You change your caller ID as that of an employee. Call IT and
tell them "reset my X (voicemail, email, etc.) password" Because the IT
guy wants to validate you he refuses to use caller ID and tells you he
will call you right back. At this point if you DoS'd the phone it
wouldn't receive calls hence them going into voicemail. In comes perl,
curl or whatever packet builder you prefer... Perform a POST to the
phone or server, depending on your craftiness and time, reset the
voicemail PIN. Go into the user's voicemail, instant pentesting
gratification.

There are plenty of ways to abuse VoIP - the facts are facts though -
it's just data. From a sniffing/PITA perspective, you could snoop calls,
splice together audio and create your own soundboard WITH that person's
voice - perhaps bypassing voice recognition. Sky's the limit when you
have a focus on what it is you want to do. So ask yourself that first...
What is it you want to do... Capture data, manipulate data, etc.

I know quite a few revisions of firmware on certain phone vendors that I
can re-write POSTS and reset phones, passwords, change names, insert a
call forward argument. It all boils down to what is it you're trying to
accomplish. In the case of an assessment, the approach for me would be
to start at the ground up. Test the security of the phone application
itself (HTTP scanner), test if any ports are open and why - which means
you'd have to have literature from the manufacturer, test the
tamperability of the connection (can you sniff the wire, any vlans (VLAN
hopping), can you perform posts/injections, etc). Follow the same steps
you would for any client server.

--

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
J. Oquendo

"It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to
ruin it. If you think about that, you'll do things
differently." - Warren Buffett

227C 5D35 7DCB 0893 95AA  4771 1DCE 1FD1 5CCD 6B5E
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x5CCD6B5E

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works,
how it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test,
purchase, install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for
set-up are highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital
certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1