Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Seeking Information regarding VoIP security Assessment

From: Abhishek Kumar <abhishek.luck () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 11:52:13 +0530

http://www.amazon.com/Hacking-VoIP-Protocols-Attacks-Countermeasures/dp/1593271638/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1255539821&sr=1-5

Its really a good book giving you the practical aspects of VoIP
communication and its security.

@Jon.Kible, thank you for suggesting this book.

I would appreciate if you could suggest more materials like this

regards
abhi

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 10:35 PM, Jon Kibler <Jon.Kibler () aset com> wrote:

Abhishek Kumar wrote:
Dear list,

Can I have some resource materials for VoIP security and its Assessment ??

regards
abhi

What do you mean by VoIP security? SIPS/SRTP?

VoIP has so very many security issues as to be almost laughable. There are so
many VoIP issues that I would not know where to begin -- ranging any where from
MiTM (ARP spoofing, capture and replay, etc.) and authentication and
authorization, to RTP injection and ... I could go on forever, almost.

Bottom line: VoIP, as implemented today, is a clear-text protocol (unless you
are tunneling SIP and RTP through IPSec). It has all the equivalent security
issues of any clear text protocol, such as FTP (actually, TFTP may be a better
comparison).

If you should be one of the rare organizations using SIPS/SRTP, there are still
a ton of security issues (for example, SRTP setup in the clear). There are also
incredible interop issues if you are using SIPS/SRTP.

I just finished a 9 month VoIP project. I can assure you that VoIP security is a
major nightmare. It is *not* a pretty picture! For a decent introduction to the
low hanging fruit of VoIP security, I recommend:
http://www.amazon.com/Hacking-VoIP-Protocols-Attacks-Countermeasures/dp/1593271638/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1255539821&sr=1-5

I Hope this helps!

Jon
- --
Jon R. Kibler
Chief Technical Officer
Advanced Systems Engineering Technology, Inc.
Charleston, SC  USA
o: 843-849-8214
c: 843-813-2924
s: 843-564-4224
s: JonRKibler
e: Jon.Kibler () aset com
e: Jon.R.Kibler () gmail com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/jonrkibler

My PGP Fingerprint is:
BAA2 1F2C 5543 5D25 4636 A392 515C 5045 CF39 4253

http://www.trustem.com/

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1