Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Is snort an overkill for desktop only environment ?

From: Kurt Buff <kurt.buff () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 14:40:52 -0700

As others have suggested, it depends on how much you value your data -
but unmentioned by the others, you should consider the relationship of
the remote network to your larger environment.

Do you do any egress filtering at the firewall of the remote network,
specifically for traffic from the remote network to the larger
network? Or is the VPN connection between your offices wide open? Even
if you filter, I'll bet that you have open the usual Windows
networking ports of 135, 139, 445, etc. to all machines on your larger
network from the remote network, because that's the way it works.

So, if you have the resources to install, maintain and monitor it, I'd
say absolutely yes, you should install it, or whatever other security
tools you can.

Kurt