Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Is snort an overkill for desktop only environment ?

From: Stephen Mullins <steve.mullins.work () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 16:02:54 -0400

Eh...you can run Snort at home if you want.  There is nothing saying
that you have to be on a huge enterprise network in order to have an
IDS, especially a free/open source one.

If I were in your shoes I would deploy Snort simply for the great
learning opportunity, so long as your budget permits it.

You may not be able to get the most current rules from Source Fire but
you can at least get the most current rules from Emerging Threats,
which tend to be relevant to current events and high quality.

For something so high profile as Conficker, you can usually find a
Snort rule on the front page of the Internet Storm Center.  There is
no monopoly on such rules.  This is another benefit of Snort's
origins, and thorough documentation due to remaining open source.

On the other hand, you'll need to devote a lot of time to tuning the
sensor, especially at first.  Otherwise you'll be inundated with junk
alerts/false positives and will quickly simply ignore it altogether.
That's part of the learning process.  Given the state of most private
sector's IT security, your first and best step would be taking away
admin privileges from all your users before you go through the trouble
of deploying an IDS.

Steve