Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Fwd: Is snort an overkill for desktop only environment ?

From: krymson () gmail com
Date: 26 Oct 2009 20:09:03 -0000

I don't think it would be overkill unless this is a completely useless office that has access to nothing. As Jason
responded earlier, it depends on the data value. Snort will also have less value if the VPN is client-to-site, rather
than site-to-site, since it won't be able to see the encrypted traffic, but that won't eliminate the value since you
can still see if something evul is getting into or out of your office/desktops.

I think if you can get quality information about your environment, a monitoring tool is worthwhile effort. The Snort
sensor can probably be tuned nicely to give very few alerts and far less false positives than a complex environment,
depending on the web browsing habits.

Part of me really wants to say you can get good value out of netflow statistics for that office (ferrets out strange
destinations or hours of activity), or making sure the desktops are behind a nicely hardened firewall (egress and
ingress accounted for) along with a web proxy or filter, and some sort of ability to sense rogue (new) systems. But
Snort is a great piece as well.

Regarding the 30 day lag time, I don't think that should be a huge problem, but yes it can be a small concern. It
wouldn't kill my adoption of Snort in most environments, however, most likely because Snort is an alert mechanism and
not necessarily a prevention mechanism. For prevention, I'd still rely on endpoint AV/security. I fall on the side of
using IDS less as an active tool like an IPS, and more in the traditional detection/monitoring sense.