Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Conflict of interests

From: David Schekaiban <david () codigoverde com>
Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 10:16:02 -0500

If you formally request and log your actions I don't think there would be a
problem. The conflict of interests problem is usually something we see with
coders. You can't, for example, code and test and approve something.

If you are on the security team, you should get permission from the IT guys
and the audit team to use root privileges to test and try something.

Hope this helps and remember, whenever doing penetration and vulnerability
testing you should have FORMAL authorization from management. This is
sometimes called "get out of jail" card, so keep it in mind.

Best regards,

DS