Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Judge orders defendant to decrypt PGP-protected laptop - CNET News

From: Aarón Mizrachi <unmanarc () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 04:34:19 -0430

On Sábado 07 Marzo 2009 18:14:51 Shailesh Rangari escribió:
Steve,

I agree that their is a real possibility that a said user may forget
the password owing to numerous reasons,
But I am not aware of any technique that can prove beyond a reasonable
doubt that the user has really forgotten his password or is pretending
it to avoid a sentence.
Seems like the case is bound to set a precedent in the interpretation
of this law. Any which ways it would be worthwhile to observe whether
the US courts follow a similar course of action as their UK
counterparts.

two factor authentication with micro-sd memory card that you preserve all the
time with you, and can be eated when you feel angry, or can be incinerated if
you smoke it on a cigar, or simply drop it. this sd memory card will contain
bootstrap and encrypted key for two-factor cypher.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8a/Cigar_tube_and_cutter.jpg
(Over 200 celsius degrees!!!)

Then, the hardrive will only contain: RANDOM DATA.

This is plausible?, this could be insulting for the judge, but, you must
allegate that before the raid, you do an "cat /dev/urandom > /dev/sda1" for a
mantainance pourporse from a live cd... (i really didit before sell my
harddrive to prevent credit card and other private info leakeage).

Look at:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2009/jan/08/hard-drive-security-which

This is plausible. You didn't consider your hard-drive as evidence before the
judge starts, because you never didit anything barely legal.

Another plaussible act are say that this 8Gb partition are an encrypted swap
used by a secure live cd that you use. (There is to know that encrypted swap
uses a random key and looks like random data). You can have the secure live cd
and demostrate how it works.

-----------------
Everything depends on how you preserve and protect the microsd card...

Fact: Microsd card have 11mm x 15mm x 1mm, can be easly destroyed with medium-
high temperatures (85 celsius degrees)....

http://www.kingston.com/flash/securedigital.asp?id=2

It is also kind of interesting that the UK courts follow a course of
action which almost deters users from using encryption for the fear of
forgetting keys that may lead to a sentence.
That leaves people in UK the option of using Key Escrow Encryption
scheme only.

Shailesh