Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: how do you secure a blackberry

From: Aarón Mizrachi <unmanarc () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 00:59:51 -0430

On Miércoles 29 Julio 2009 00:32:58 Joseph Williams escribió:
Atleast with Verizon, when you battery pull the phone. The service books
that are pushed out by the provider are repushed out. My girlfriend's
sprint blackberry comes with some "Quick Launch" icons and a small program
from Sprint. Every time she has to battery pull they are redownloaded.

Joe

Yes, is the service provided by the seller.  if you bought your phone from a
trusted/minimal one, you will be clear.

And... The small program, i think, does not came with service books, probably
are inserted as a ".cod" into the program memory. That can be partially/fully
cleaned. Some operators also provide you themes, and booting images, to
"personalize" your blackberry.

The blackberry device consist in a ARM processor with  different memory
parts... I suppose that are structured as follows:

- ARM processor firmware
- ROM Memory (PIN, IMEI)
- Vendor Information Memory (Boot logo, vendor code, other information)
(Possibly ROM)
- Basic Blackberry OS Memory  (Lock information, basic connectivity)
- Program Memory (Blackberry programs inserted and updated by the desktop
manager, themes, whatever)
- Blackberry Databases (Device information, Service Books, Configurations,
Calls, whatever) and files
- SD Memory