Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: how do you secure a blackberry

From: Jon Janego <jonjanego () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 14:54:32 -0500

I think that the key take away here is that you cannot - at least if
you're fully integrated with your provider's service.

If you had unlocked the phone and were using it oo a different
network, then you may have some protection.  Firmware pushes probably
are only initiated by the carrier your device is permanently
registered with.  You're pretty protected with GSM (generally
speaking, having a SIM is enough to register you on the network), but
a CDMA or iDen network is going to be difficult - the carrier has to
register the IMEI of your device with them before you're even allowed
to associate to their network.  So they'll know who you are and what
the device is.  On GSM you can be slightly more anonymous.  But using
the data services probably blows the lid off that, since more
device-specific info is required to push the data.

Read the TOS - you're probably agreeing to letting your carrier push
whatever software they want to you.  It's like the recent Kindle/1984
fiasco - by integrating with their data network so tightly, a whole
can of worms is opened where the consumer no longer has complete
control of their own device.

On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 5:56 PM, Enquiries @ Globalart