Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: how do you secure a blackberry

From: "Steve Armstrong" <stevearmstrong () logicallysecure com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 23:21:22 +0100

Joe,

This is not strictly true.

If you trust the off the shelf blackberry software from RIM (so you are not the subject to a focused attack), and have
your own Blackberry Enterprise Server (BES), you can configure the system to reject pushed items, and strictly
configure the device as to what the user can and cannot do (link to systems, use Bluetooth, send IMs, use the camera
etc).

If you are thinking about this in relation to the Dubai attacks, most of these were against individual users that had
individual types of accounts or had poorly configured BES servers will few controls in place.

If you users have standard devices using the ISPs BES servers then you do not have control of your devices and are open
to this they of attack.

Check out the following if you want to know more about BES Security try this 200 page RIM document on configuring Sy on
their devices.
http://na.blackberry.com/eng/deliverables/1417/BlackBerry_Enterprise_Server_Policy_Reference_Guide[1].pdf

Steve A
(Twitter: Nebulator)